ETA: I decided not to stress out trying to post EVERY photo. One, just because it can get stressful in general, and then having to worrying about trying to post daily photos of the week is not good-read below for my word of the year. Also, some of the photos I've noticed are very specific about location, and this is a public blog. So I am going to delete some of the journaling and pictures from the original post. I've decided instead to TRY and post a, meaning ONE "Photo of the Week." I got this idea from another blog. Of course, I might add other photos, but I am going to try and post my favorite or a photo (in case the favorite one is too personal as to location, etc.) of the week. Hopefully, this makes sense. Photo of last week to be posted later. I am doing my 365 different, in that January 1-3 is my first "week" on the first page (of the scrapbook I am doing), and then I start a full week from January 4-10. Hopefully that makes sense. So I will have ONE photo from January 1-3, and another from January 4-10.
Happy New Year! So much to say.
First, Anthony and I spent New Year's Eve relaxing. I was tired early, so I went to sleep maybe a little after new year's on the east coast. Then at 11:58pm I immediately woke up-no kidding, and Anthony (who was still up) and I rang in 2009 together-both awake.
Second, I have chosen a new word for 2009. I got this idea from Ali Edwards . Basically you chose a word that you want to focus on for that year. I did this last year. I actually chose two, "Trust God." I tend to worry, and I wanted to relax and just Trust in God. I am not so sure I let go and let God as much as I wanted last year, so my word for this year is "Serenity." Here is the definition I looked up online.
Noun 1. serenity - a disposition free from stress or emotion
tranquility, placidity, tranquillity, repose, quiet
calm, calmness, composure, equanimity - steadiness of mind under stress; "he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity"
ataraxia - peace of mind
2. serenity - the absence of mental stress or anxiety
ataraxis, peace of mind, peacefulness, repose, peace, heartsease
quietude, quietness, tranquillity, tranquility - a state of peace and quiet
I am not sure if I thought of the Serenity Prayer first, or second, but I looked that up, and apparently found the ENTIRE Serenity Prayer by the person who presumably wrote the poem: Reinhold Niebuhr.
The Serenity Prayer
God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
And here is the "traditional prayer" that I hope to remember/say as encouragement throughout the year:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
On this site I saw a scripture that also goes with this prayer.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3, 5-6
I think for me, this is perfect. I hope to find serenity in letting go, letting God and trusting in HIM.
I also want to live more in the present, in the here and NOW. I love how the longer version of the prayer talks about living a day, enjoying a MOMENT at a time (I wrote about this the other day when explaining my word of the year to focus on and didn't even realize that this was also in the Serenity Prayer).
One way that I can reach this intention is through Project 365. I am still not so sure if I will be able to take a photo EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR 2009, but I have started. You can learn more about this here: . This is a "scrapper's 365 project" ALTHOUGH as the person who put the kit together says, anyone can do it. Taking a picture 365 days is not a new idea with this kit. Here is a place where this idea possibly started, although of course there probably have been others who have had this idea, just where it started to take off again.
Again, I do not know if I will be able to actually take a photo EVERDAY this year, but I have started, and we will see. It will be a good way to help me stay present and in the moment, and document everyday life. I also thought, my blog is "Snapshots of Everyday Life" and I don't have a lot of snapshots, so this would be a good way have more photos up. That said, I will try to upload photos. I am thinking of doing it weekly, instead of daily. ETA: I am going to TRY and do a "Photo of the Week" which means I'll post ONE photo from the week. Read above for more details.
If you are still reading this far, I can't believe it. I do have "goals" or intentions. I am still prioritizing, and thinking about it, so I may share at a later time.
In the meantime, here is the photo for January 1-3 2009:
Wow, that has to be my longest post ever! Take care.
Saturday, January 03, 2009
Looking Forward...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment